Search and think earth
from this widget
Powered by

Friday, September 19, 2008

Ethan Ruan, Joe Chen Qiao En – Answering the mystery (Magazine Interview)


Some say that ratings is just a game of numbers. But it's destined that some numbers can shoot an artiste up to fame at any time, finally shining and wile their time away. Ethan Ruan and Joe Chen Qiao En individually have both been floating along the entertainment industry for a few years. It's only the 2008 SETTV drama "Fated to Love You" that they acted in together that changed their lives.

Not popular idols, not a hot man or gorgeous lady, a pairing that people looked down on beforehand, however, their ratings that broke 13 managed to create a legend for Taiwan's idol drama history. It's shocking for many and if it's not because it's fated, then maybe it's because there's some surprising chemistry in action……

Beforehand, not so shocked!
Unlike other idol dramas, the "Fated to Love You" leads are not youthful idols, like "Hana Kimi" has Wu Chun and Ella or "Rolling Love" with Jiro, Danson. Additionally, when the leads came to Hong Kong, the drama had yet to air. Were Ethan and Qiao En previously worried that their popularity isn't huge enough?

Qiao En: "This drama, regardless of Taiwan or mainland, the response has been very good. When we were in Shanghai, there were lots of fans too so before coming to Hong Kong, we weren't very worried. I discovered through the fans session this time, that there's a lot of people that like us. I'm really very touched. I think a lot of idol dramas actors/actresses lack acting skills but they have a very pretty face. This drama can have such success, it's mainly because inside the drama, you can see a lot of the inner feelings from the cast which can touch the audience. Thus, I'm very confident and hope that the Hong Kong audience will like this realistic drama too."

Ethan: "Not worried! We filmed this drama very seriously. Earlier on, I was already certain that it will make it to Hong Kong and everyone will like it! I won't lose confidence in it just because there's no famous idol in the drama. 'Fated''s plus point is that it is very alive. The story, cast and everything else are all very real. The drama can be exciting to a large extent and no matter where it's aired, I will still not be worried."


Judging own performance – 100 marks
Very much like "Moonlight Reasonance", "Fated" focus on storyline and acting. A correct direction, such that the audience will happily chase the drama. Ethan and Qiao En's acting skills were affirmed by the audience through this drama and regarding their own performances, what is their take?

Ethan: "I feel that the Qiao En had a miscarriage scene where I decided to not have the child, both of us did a very good job! And the scene where I pushed her against the wall and kissed her plus the confession at the bridge. I like those scenes a lot. Every time these scenes are aired, I will forget that I'm the actor acting in it and will almost cry so I'll quickly switch channels. I know I won't be able to stop myself from crying. Actually, I feel that there's a lot of great things about this drama, if I mention them all at one go, I won't be able to finish and you won't be able to stop writing!"

Qiao En: "There's one time, Pastor Dylan sent Xin Yi home and Xin Yi was actually very scared because Cun Xi isn't very nice to her. At the door, Xin Yi suddenly grabbed Pastor Dylan's hand and said 'Thank you! I will continue to work hard!' I really like the feeling I had at that point in time because I used a different style of acting. It's not very saddening. I held back my tears."

"And there's also the car accident cum miscarriage scene. What was written in the script was actually that I will be hysterical throughout the whole process but I talked to the director and said that when someone's extremely sad, she will be in shock. So Xin Yi kept repeating one sentence and it was until hearing Cun Xi's voice that she broke down. I myself really like that scene. As well as the hotel kiss in Shanghai with Cun Xi. For that scene, the both of us put in a lot of feelings and the acting was very smooth."

Thinks alike regarding acting roles
After months of filming, going from Hong Kong to Taiwan to Shanghai, Ethan and Qiao En are friends who talk about everything and they even have the same line of thoughts!

Qiao En: "Before acting in "Fated", Ethan's roles have all been slightly more serious. He can develop in many areas for acting. His face has a bit of devilish feeling and he can try acting as a devil. But I look forward to seeing him in a sissy type of role because he's really abit childish and sometimes manly. If you have him act as a sissy, can you imagine how funny it will be!"
"I personally want to try some more serious acting. I've acted in too many of those sunshine, positive characters. In "Fated", Cun Xi and Xin Yi has too much weightage and there's none of those type of characters."

Ethan: "I want to see Qiao En acting in movies. I feel that her acting shouldn't be restricted to idol dramas. Qiao En will try to exaggerate her acting for the sake of idol dramas. I hope she can act a movie character that is realistic throughout the whole movie. I believe that then, everyone will see a very different Chen Qiao En."

"If in "Fated" I didn't act as Cun Xi, I want to act as Anson that type of sissy character! Because I've never done so!" Their chemistry is so great that they even have the same line of thoughts. A fated pairing, isn't it?

http://asianfanatics.net

1 comment:

Unknown said...

i like the movie fated to love you cause of the two character ethan and joe chen i was looking for more of their movies and try to find out are they true live couple cause it would be a nice couple too